Balsam Hill-Horton will be hosting this year’s District Annual Meeting. It will be held on May 13th at the Horton Community Centre. Registration begins at 5:00 pm, with dinner starting at 5:45. Registration and food service will remain open until 6:00 for later arrivals.
This year’s theme will be “Planting seeds of Change” (taken from the FWIC conference for 2015, and in celebration of the UN year of the Soil). Roll Call: Share a gardening tip. More information was sent from District Secretary Gail Reid including registration information. Please contact your branch executive for additional information.
From the FWIO website:
The deadline to make a submission to the Canada 150 project has been extended to April 30, 2015! Thank you to everyone who has submitted their Real Life Stories! We have now received over 200!
For more information on submitting a story, visit the Members Section of the FWIO website or contact Irene Robillard, Canada 150 Chair, at email@example.com or 613-432-6987.
Arnprior Fair ** date: Aug. 13-16 2015
Renfrew Fair ** date: Sept 9-13, 2015
Theme: An Old Fashioned Summer Picnic to Celebrate a Birthday
- Handmade Birthday Card , not computer generated, no envelope required
- Wrapped Birthday Present, no larger than 12”x12”, not counting ribbons or bows
- Sewn Tablecloth for a picnic table, suitable for a birthday. SMA approx.. 52”x70”
- Prepared Picnic Basket, judged on appearance, contents and efficiency of items needed to enjoy a picnic. No food.
- Flowers from your garden suitable for a picnic. Container of choice.
- Crochet shawl. SYA
- Knit Tea Cozy. SYA
- Handmade cushion or Pillow suitable for a family room. (BN) SMA
- Short Poem or saying,DONE IN CALIGRAPHY WRITING, paper matting and frame of your choice. No larger than 16”x19”
- ½ Loaf of Pumpkin Bread, sliced and displayed on unbreakable plate in a Ziplock bag. (BN)
- 3 Sugar Cookies on paper plate in plastic Ziplock bag.
- 3 Butter Tarts, with raisins, on paper plate in Ziplock bag.
- 3 White Cupcakes ,decorated.
- Strawberry Jam, (not Freezer) in a 250 ml preserving jar.
- Pickled Beets in a 500 ml. preserving jar.
Arnprior Fair: minimum 10 entries, maximum 15 entries
Renfrew Fair: must show 9 of the 15 entries in a display adhering to the theme
The Arnprior & District Museum is holding its 9th annual antique quilt show. It is on now until November 16. Admission is just $3.00 for adults, $2.00 for seniors and students, $5.00 per family. The museum is open for this special show from 11 to 4 pm daily, except Mondays. Several WI quilts are on display including a “Crazy Quilt” from 1941 pieced together by Bonnechere Valley WI members and recently donated by Eva Filleter. For more information on the event, you can call 613-623-4902.
Thanks to all the members, volunteers and the organizing committee who made this year’s Eastern Area annual convention a success. Over 140 women from all over eastern Ontario joined us in Arnprior for the 100th anniversary celebration. Reports will be given at branch meetings and more photos will be posted to the gallery soon. Special thanks to Lynn Clelland for chairing the organizing committee.
At the RSDWI district annual meeting, branches voted to support the creation of a permanent exhibit at the Arnprior & District Museum about the WI in our area. Work has started on collecting items for the display. Please send an email to Sara MacKenzie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have some older items that you would think would help tell our story. An inventory is being taken now and work on the story for the display will start soon.
Renfrew South District will be hosting the Eastern Area Convention in Arnprior on Saturday October 18, 2014. It will be held at Glad Tidings Church on Baskin Drive, just off Highway 17. It promises to be a special one since the Area is celebrating its 100th anniversary. Information on registration will come via your branches. The deadline is October 1.
Theme: St Patrick’s Tea
1. Sewn Placemat for St. Patrick’s Day (SMA)
2. Computerized Invitation for St. Patrick’s Day Tea
3. Poster advertising the tea (8×10) not on computer
4. Recipe for Irish Stew – Hand Written, Penmanship to be judged only (8.5 x11)
5. Sewn 1/2 Apron, decorated to theme (SMA)
6. Child’s size Fair Isle Knitted Pullover, size no less than 8 or larger than 12 (SYA, Renfrew Fair)
7. A bag or purse made from old jeans, Max 20″x16″ (SMA)
8. Pair of knit bed slippers (SYA)
9. 3 scones on a styrofoam plate, covered
10. Loaf of soda bread
11. 3 date squares on styrofoam plate, covered
12. 3 oatmeal cookies on styrofoam plate, covered
13. Jar of marmalade (with decorative lid in cloth) at least 2 fruits named, 250 ml (Bernice Noblitt)
14. Cup and saucer for centrepiece – decorated to theme
15. Vase with dried flowers not to exceed 18″ in any direction
- Entry fee is $5.00, only open to WI Branches and work must be done by a member and exhibited by the branch to which they belong.
- Each branch will have a 5 ft table.
- Entry time is Wednesday between 6:00pm and 8:30pm only
- At least 10 out of 15 articles must be exhibited.
- If a branch wants to put in more than the 10 items that is fine as long as they have 10. If list was longer, then no more than 15.
- Prizes are $8, $6, $4 and $20 (given by the Arnprior Agricultural Society for best display)
- Set up in exhibit hall Wednesday August 6.
- Judging will be Thursday, August 7 at 9 am. two members must attend judging.
- Pick up between 3pm – 4pm Sunday, August 10
Here is the list new list of officers for the executive of RSDWI for 2014-2015.
- Past President: Margie MacKenzie
- President: Joanne McDonald
- 1st Vice President: Jo-Anne Camelon
- 2nd Vice President: Sara MacKenzie
- Secretary: Gail Reid
- Treasurer: Jane Flain
- Public Relations Officer: Lynn Clelland
- Curator: Irene Robillard
- Advocacy Co-ordinator: Lillian Collins
- Membership Co-ordinator: Anita Schubrink
- Scholarship Co-ordinator: Lynn Clelland
A report on the District Annual will be reported by your District Director at upcoming branch meetings and minutes will be circulated at a later date. Best wishes to outgoing President Margie MacKenzie and a big welcome to Joanne McDonald who is taking her place. Thank you to guests Judy Bohn (North Renfrew) and to Myra Kelly (Eastern Area Board Member to FWIO), Maritta Saharinen (Eastern Area President) and Ruth McHugh (Eastern Area Secretary) for joining us in Glasgow.